The government of Canada recently announced a new program called the Canada Greener Homes Grants Program — that offers Canadians grants of up to $5,000 to pay for energy-saving home upgrades.

Energy retrofits could include installing energy efficient windows, increase insulation R value, upgrading to a more efficient furnace or adding solar panels.

Homeowners will be able to make energy efficient retrofits to their primary residences, and up to $600 to help with the cost of home energy evaluations by a registered energy adviser. That adviser visits an applicant’s home and determines which energy-saving measures would qualify for reimbursement by doing a pre-renovation assessment and then a post-renovation evaluation.

An application starts with an energy evaluation by a certified adviser. If the homeowner chooses to proceed, a licensed contractor would then be hired to conduct the retrofits. After an inspection of the completed work, the homeowner would be reimbursed.

In order to register, you will be asked to provide your: Name, Phone Number, Email, Type of house, Address of your primary residence, Proof of ownership with your property tax bill number (number can be found on your municipal property documents), Proof of residence through driver’s licence or government issued ID (with address), or utility bill.

For more information on this program and begin the process, you will need to register and book your pre-retrofit evaluation at:

If you need help to register–Michipicoten First Nation, Community Energy Champion, Gina Simon is available to assist. Contact: or 705-856-1993 Ext. 216.